Monday, November 4, 2013

Just because you limit what people can say  out loud does not mean you take the thoughts out of their minds. When restrictions are made in this society it is to limit what people can think about because their thoughts may be racy and unethical. However, throughout the novel Margaret Atwood shows that people will still think of what they want to. When freedom is restricted it does not weaken the resistance it only gives them a reason to fight. As their hate grows they will become stronger and will eventually break down the society slow or quick like a fatal disease. The Handmaid's Tale reveals that it is impossible to stamp people out and keep them quiet because in the end they will surpass and break free from the shackles society has made for them.

This quote is very telling of human nature. “I want to be held and told my name. I want to be valued, in ways that I am not; I want to be more than valuable. I repeat my former name; remind myself of what I once could do, how others saw me. I want to steal something."  Humans long to feel like they are more than just themselves. People want others to cherish them and most importantly they want to be be loved. They have this undeniable urge to belong to something or someone. It makes makes them feel more and important and larger in the world. Offred has had all of these desires "taken" away from her in Gilead. However, since it is technically impossible to force people what to think without ruining their humanity, Offred still feels this way even if its a secret. The most interesting sentence is "I want to steal something." Because all of Offred's power has been stripped away from her she wants to do something to show that she not just another lifeless person. She also wants to able to call something her own and because of humans' need to be part of something larger.

I was very fond of The Handmaids Tale. I enjoy reading dystopian novels on my own, so I was excited to read one in class. It always scares me when people start declares strong notions about restrictions on youth or women because it only takes one mentally unstable but very convincing person to order a nation to behave in a certain way. This book acts as a clear warning towards constraining people and taking away their freedom. Without freedom we become the same and my personality types will be highly upset by that. Individualism along with love is what expresses our humanity. Without this we might as well be robots because the point to life would cease to exist.

No comments:

Post a Comment